Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Trust your real estate agent?

I read an article about how a person bought a home in California who's agent encouraged them to be aggressive on their bid for the house because several disclosure packets had been sent out.  Later, the buyer learned they were the only bidder on the house and felt they could have gotten the house cheaper than what they paid for it.

I don't know enough about this story to comment directly to the story.  There are just too many variables.  However, even though the buyer was comfortable in putting in the bid (aggressive or not, they were still willing to pay the amount they paid for the house), the buyer was not happy with the agent.  Was it the agents fault?  I don't know.  Did the agent know more than what they were saying and pushing the buyer or was the agent duped into believing there would be a bidding war for this property and really didn't want the buyer to lose out on a good deal?  Bottom line, it comes down to communication on all sides and trust that your agent is looking out for your best interest.  Personally, I'm not big on 'low balling' offers on houses.  Don't get me wrong, I'll represent any contract that a customer want's me to propose but, I look at it that someday, I'm going to represent the sale of that house and do they want to entertain 'low ball' offers on their house?  There is a difference in low offers and fair offers.  All that is another story.

Your agent needs to communicate to you the clearest, most factual information possible looking out for the best interest of whom they represent.  Buyers need to know that agents don't know everything.  If there is a perception that your agent isn't clear about something in the transaction, questions should be asked.  Your agent should realize that it's not all about them but about the customer and be painfully clear with all facts and don't be afraid to say 'I don't know but I'll find out'.  Sometimes, that alone will build trust.  I know I've experienced that.  Customers will ask me a question dealing with my customers transaction that I don't have a clue about.  You can bet, I'm not going to lie to them.  I get caught in those!  Telling my customers 'I don't know' doesn't make me look dumb but I believe it gives the customer the feeling they're dealing with a human and my customer knows I'll be honest with them.

The next time you are working with a real estate agent, look for clues that they are earning your trust.  Do they seem knowledgeable about the market values?  Are they giving you both positive and negatives of the house?  Do they point out flaws that might not be readily visible?  Do they give you financing options?  Trust in your agent is very important throughout the transaction.  You should feel comfortable to ask any question you need to ask and trust that your agent has given you the most honest answer they can have.  That makes for a fun and rewarding and profitable transaction for everyone involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment